Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Analyzing My Audience

Today I will analyze my audience in my controversy. If you recall, I have been following the issues surrounding geoengineering, more specifically the methods used with regards to reducing global warming. Here is the article written by Brad Plummer. The following questions are from the Student's Guide to First Year Writing page 40.


tgw. "IG2005 master class audience." 07/08/2005 via Flickr. Public Domain Dedication.


1. Who am I writing for?

My audience is the population of engineering students worldwide who hold an interest or a take in position on the issue of geoengineering. A subcategory can also be labeled with "global warming." Another subcategory might include the topic on "solar engineering." The people who will read this article are individuals seeking additional knowledge on the subject or persons who are researching the matter to gain insight on what they have learned thus far.

2. What position might they take on this issue? How will I need to respond to this position?

If an engineering student were to read this article and my future essay, they will most likely want to know more and how geoengineering is beneficially to creating a healthier environment. They would want to know more how the methods employed can help reduce the current negative human impact on the climate and the earth. I will need to mildly advocate for Keith's views without compromising my credibility as an author.

3. What will they want to know?

Again, this depends on the original mindset and views of the each individual reader. A person with no knowledge on the matter may not want to read this article as it is very biased. He or she may be swayed to support geoengineering without knowing any consequences or risks. If a person has a prior negative view of geoengineering, he may strongly disagree with this article and may or may not even become annoyed and irritated.

4. How might they react to my argument?


The reaction of the audience may or may not be hostile. Depending on the views of certain readers, one may find the argument inappropriate and another may find that the statements by Keith reasonable. All in all, for this question and the past two questions related to this one, a supporter of geoengineering would find this article appealing and an opposer would find it appalling. A person who has views of neither side may sway in support with just this knowledge or just find the information crazy to comprehend.

5. How am I trying to relate to or connect with my audience?

As an author I want to connect with most of my audience, if not all. I am catering to any engineering student or students who find an interest in knowing more about geoengineering and the issues surrounding its use on the environment. My goal is to find the point in between where both sides of the argument can compromise to come to an understanding what the controversy actually is. I want to inform rather than evoke emotion, but I also do not want to prohibit emotion from coming into play if a reader finds a statement rather absurd in his mind.

6. Are there specific words, ideas, or modes of presentation that will help me relate to them in this way?

Key words to help convey a stronger message would be the use of "worldwide" and "controversy." As an author, I wants this issue to be widely known and to portray a sense of urgency towards the problem. I will focus on global warming and highlight the questions asked to Keith on the topic. I will bring up Plumer's interviewing method as an effective way to help his readers relate on a personal basis.



Reflection: I read, analyzed and commented on the mirror posts to this one of Isabel and Savannah. Isabel's audience is going to be very different from mine in that hers caters to the population of medical students while mine is aimed towards the majority of engineering students. Her topic is very interesting and would like to read more as her project become more and more finalized. As a student currently interested in biomedical engineering as a future occupation, I am excited to find out more on the devices and techniques used in electric stimulation. Savannah presents her topic to her audience of engineering students. We both want these types of students to read our essays because they might find it very informative. Although I am looking at geoengineering and Savannah is looking at genetic engineering, we both find the same techniques to inform our audiences of the correlation between controversy and engineering.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nick!
    I definitely agree with a lot of what you said in your post. I liked your point about using keywords to help create a stronger message and relate to your audience. I feel like that could be a really effective way of creating the connection between yourself and the audience.
    One thing you should keep in mind is that the audience is new and incoming students so just make sure you remember that because you forgot to message it in ur post.
    Ayra Sabir

    ReplyDelete