Saturday, September 19, 2015

Reflection on Project I Draft

Today I reviewed two of my classmates' blog posts that contained their Project 1 drafts. Looking at Savannah's draft tentatively titled, "GMO or GM-No? The Story Behind Genetically Modified Food Products, Explained" and Trey's draft titled, "The F-35 Joint Strike Fighter: A Guide to the Fight Surrounding the Program," I found that my draft could use an immense amount of reediting and reworking.


roseoftimothywoods. "Baby kissing mirror image." 07/29/2005 via Flickr. Public Domain Dedication.


AUDIENCE

1. Who is going to be reading this document? Who am I trying to reach?

For the most part, my peers in English 109H will be reading my quick reference guide. Also, my professor will also be reading it. It is formatted however to accommodate anyone who would like addition insight on the controversial battle between supporters and opposers to genetically modified human stem cells.

2. What are their values and expectations? Am I meeting those expectations?

The QRG is to inform readers on the present subject. They wouldn't hold many values unless they held an opinion on which side of the controversy they might choose. The only expectation a reader would have of a QRG is to be more informed on the matter.

3. How much information should I provide? How much background should I include without insulting their expertise?

Since this writing is a QRG, I need to include nearly all of the information that I might think an ordinary person would be confused about. I need to cater mainly to the people who know nothing at all about the controversy. By doing this, my QRG will pretty much cater to anyone who may be reading it.

4. What kind of language is suitable for this audience?

Language should be unbiased and straightforward. It is imperative to be concise and just include the premise of a topic. If illustration on a topic is needed then the writer must provide one. Being confused about a certain topic is the biggest issue, and thus QRG are perfect for informing these people.

5. What kind of tone should I use with my audience? Do I use this tone consistently throughout the draft?

I should be calm and collective. I should not be biased towards one side of the debate or the other. I am strictly here to inform readers about the controversy. Indeed I do use this tone consistently throughout my QRG draft. Although mistakes and errors were found by my peers, I had no comments pertaining to my tone.

CONTEXT

1. What are the formatting requirements for this assignment? Do I meet these requirements?

For QRGs, concise and simple paragraphs are essential in format. Including a subheading or multiple subheadings can help a reader navigate the guide much easier. From our textbook, the PIE format is sometimes a great tool to help organize the writing. I do meet these requirements to writing a QRG although I have had to make a few corrections already.

2. What are the content requirements for this assignment? Do I meet them?

A QRG is to inform on a single subject. For my controversy, I presented unbiasedly the worldwide debate on whether modification of human stem cells should be allowed or not. Not so much as allowed but whether it should be widely frowned upon.

3. Does my draft reflect knowledge or skills gained in class in addition to my own ideas?

My draft indeed does reflect knowledge and skills that I have gained in class. My own ideas for formatting as well as organizing have helped aid in my drafting of a QRG.

4. Have I addressed any grammatical issues that were addressed?

I have addressed grammatical issues in my QRG and have either edited them out or have reorganized my thoughts to put something new in my draft. I have also accepted and addressed grammatical errors present to me by my peers as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment