Thursday, September 10, 2015

Practicing Quoting

As the controversy trudges on (in my blog), I am now assigned to publish an article of my own. (At least I think this is what I was suppose to do for this post.)

In my very own article - "Chinese Scientists Attempt to Genetically Modify Human Embryos, Sparking Worldwide Controversy" - I bring up aspects from both the supporting side and the opposing side. Both sides are debating whether the genetic modification of human embryos is ethically appropriate.

The following two screenshots break down two quotes by conventions of correct integration of quotes in a published work. I researched how to do so in the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) style but they do not state a specified method. 


Screenshot from Nick Quon. Quote taken from article by National Public Radio. Accessed 09/09/2015.


Screenshot from Nick Quon. Quote taken from discussion thread on Reddit. Accessed 09/10/2015.


Highlighting Legend:
  • Green - Source materials put into effective context
  • Blue - Use of appropriate signal words is integrated
  • Yellow - Establishment of source with the correct authorization
  • Orange - Use of brackets to shorten quotes with words not originally stated by the source

No comments:

Post a Comment