Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Cluster of My Controversy

To illustrate main ideas and the wide variety of topics in a controversy, usage of cluster maps or mind maps are very useful for portrayal. In this short but informational post I have included a cluster map on the controversy I have been analyzing for the past week.

If you do not recall, the controversy is whether the Chinese practice of genetic modification to human embryos' DNA coding is ethically appropriate. Some even have gone to call it illegal. Draw from the cluster map to understand more in depth of both sides of the debate:


Image created by Nick Quon utilizing Google Draw.

In the above cluster map, I have included the main topic titled, "Genetic Modification of Human Embryos." I have not portrayed my view at all in the debate but have drawn from multiple sources to construct main points on the controversy. This cluster map contains branching ideas to further explain the sub-topics after the central theme.

Update 09/08/15: *cluster is still too complex to understand*

Update 09/10/15: *after looking at peers' clusters ... concluded this cluster is still impossible to understandable*


In reflection to viewing my classmates, Kelly's and Isabel's, blogs I have concluded that my cluster map is too complex and nearly non-understandable. I am considering changing it but I also find my cluster very unique in its own unexplainable way. Both of these girls' cluster maps are fantastically laid out. Very organized as well as spread in detail, their clusters should be enlarged printed and displayed in art galleries around the world.

2 comments:

  1. This was done really well. At first glance the cluster is a lot to look at. The topics are a bit hard to follow but since the exercise is for your own personal use as long as it's set up in a way that you understand it it's fine. I like how the topics are concise and to the point. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This web looks a bit unorganized when first looking at it just because of the zigzagging lines that connect the boxes, however after looking at it and seeing that each branch is a source that supports an argument, I was able to see how this could be used in your analysis of the controversy. I suggest using a cluster-making website that uses different colors to make each branch less intertwined with the others, but the purpose of your cluster is still clear to me.

    ReplyDelete