Thursday, September 24, 2015

Clarity, Part II

In a previous post, I highlighted what I learned from reading my textbook, "Rules for Writers." From the text I learned a thing or two about how to make my writing more clear. The clarity of a writing is imperative to making a work the best it possibly can become.

Through that prior posting, I skimmed the topics of active verbs, needed words, mixed constructions, and misplaced modifiers. In this post I will analyze four new topics from the textbook and then briefly discuss what I have learned from them. I will use this newly obtained knowledge to then revise my quick reference guide.


HoneyGoddess57. "Blurry Scene." 11/17/2009 via Deviant Art. Public Domain Dedication.

Parallel Ideas

From the textbook, I've learned the importance of balancing each sentence so that readers, and myself, can better understand what is in the context. Examples of good paralleling include the use of pairing single words with other single words, and also balancing a phrase with another. When similar ideas are not matched with the same grammar format, readers can become confused as to what the tense of a sentence is. The textbook stresses the need to balance parallel ideas in series or in pairs. It also presented the method of linking with than or as.

From these suggestions, I have leaned that I need to start watching my word and grammar choice when presenting paralleling ideas. Likewise, I need to link the ideas in a way that also makes the reader enjoy what he or she is viewing. This is not much of a surprise to me as a novice writer, but it does remind me that I need to watch for these grammar mistakes.

Emphasis

Emphasizing key ideas is a must in a writing especially a quick reference guide. Highlighting the main points of a sentence helps the reader better understand what is being presented. The words that receive the most attention by readers are the subject and the verb. Utilizing these in an independent clause helps convey a point with much ease.

I have learned that I need to always introduce a new point in this form to convey it in the best possible format. Also from the textbook, I have learned that coordinating these main and key ideas in this correct format is a must to grab the readers' attention to the maximum.

Wordy Sentences

As the textbook states, "Long sentences are not necessarily wordy, nor are short sentences always concise." From this I learn that a wordy sentence is defined by a sentence that can be shortened further without any loss of meaning. The importance of simplicity of wording writings such as QRGs is a necessity to keep readers focused in on the content.

Many lessons have been learned from reading this. From the textbook, I will now scan in depth for redundancies in my wording, repetition of unneeded words, and cut out empty and inflated phrases. I will take this topic to heart when I write and tell myself, "If it can be shortened, then I will delete the unnecessaries." 

Appropriate Language

Using appropriate language is imperative in keeping a reader on track to understanding what you are attempting to convey. The textbook starts by suggesting writers to stray away from using jargon. Again, like keeping sentences simple, cut out he elaborate wording that you might think elevates your writing. Keeping a sentence concise is always the best, but keep in mind, concise doesn't always mean short. Still maintain the amount of detail an uneducated person would need to comprehend the topics.

From the textbook, I've learned to keep sentences simple and concise, not wordy or elaborate. Confusing a reader is one of the worst effects that a writer can have on them. For me, I now know that I must keep the detailed information needed to tell readers about my subject, but to keep the information simple. If I do this, then I know I can become a better writer.

After reviewing and revising my QRG, I have found several errors from each of the categories I have elaborated upon above. Once I completed revising, I found myself much more relieve and reinvigorated that I now have a better writing. Learning from the textbook is a great tool for me in that I have taken the information and have applied it to the best of my ability to improve my writing.

An example of an error I found was, "Technology, presently, has skyrocketed and innovation is seemingly traveling faster than the speed of sound." In this sentence, I have mixed paralleling idea and I also have using inappropriate language that would leave a reader confused. My ideas of technology and innovation should be written about in the same tense. As for the inappropriate language, it is very hard to visualize innovation "traveling" the speed of sound.

From these corrections I might change the sentence and include the before sentence to:

"Ultimately, human genome testing will continue as the years go on, as seen looking at the growth of technology over the past century. Innovations in science and technology are seemingly expanding faster than the speed of sound."

Another error example I located was, "In the same discussion board, users have started a sub-thread discussing the possibility that the real world may turn into a similarity of the late 90s movie, Gattaca." After reading through this sentence several times, I found myself confused over my own writing. I nearly abuse the use of the and that. Also I do not give description to Gattaca, or even a hyperlink.

Thinking over my thoughts yet again, I have come up with the following revise sentence:

"In the same discussion board, users have branches a new topic on the 90s movie, Gattaca. These users are discussing whether the real world may in fact warp into a parallel of the movie's references. This late-90s made film was set in the future where genetic modifications to forming human babies were common."





No comments:

Post a Comment