Thursday, November 5, 2015

Project III Outline

In this post I will start to construct my public argument by drawing out an outline. The Writing Public Lives text gives areas to focus on while constructing a public argument. First I will select a format for my introduction, then I will give explanations to 6 statements with regards to the body of my argument. Third and lastly, I will again choose a format I would like to end my argument with and explain why my selection is best for my context.

ClkerFreeVectorImages. "Fish Funny Faces Sunglasses Outline." 04/09/2012 via pixabay. Public Domain Dedication.
Introducing Your Public Argument

Think About Your Situation or Kairos - From the text, I can draw from other current events related to geoengineering. This includes what I have previously posted about -- fracking and solar radiation management. I can possibly lead my audience to want to discuss the issues that are ongoing. I may even include any recent news about the legislation on geoengineering, whether it be restrictions or bans. Through all of this, I am aiming to lead my audience to either take action or to think about the issue in a different perspective, which in turn, then leads them to take action.

Developing Strong Supporting Paragraphs

1. List Down the Major Supporting Arguments - This may include arguments made by climate scientist David Keith. His support of solar radiation management has sparked controversy. His opinions, views, and facts that he has found are all credible. Other people with similar views will be effective in supporting my argument.

2. List Down Major Criticisms - Some people may find an expert's statements unreliable and not credible. This mainly due to these people's opposing views. If a person does not think geoengineering as beneficial, then he or she would obviously abject from any notion of the methods employed as being beneficial.

3. Select Your Key Support and Rebuttal Points - My key support will be David Keith's interview with The Washington Post's Brad Plumer. Other sources will be anything similar to such an article that Plumer wrote. Not necessarily being an interview, but anything that is in support of geoengineering the environment. Rebuttal points may include anything that ay seem or can be disproven on my part. If I can use supporting evidence to discourage an opposing view, then I will use it in my argument.

4. Write Out a Tentative Topic Sentence for Each Support and Rebuttal Point - The Washington Post's Brad Plumer interviews reputable climate scientist, David Keith, to fully understand his supporting views on why and how geoengineering has already and will continue to benefit the environment and the people on planet Earth.

5. Gather Evidence - My evidence and supporting facts and data will mainly come from the interview with David Keith. Other sources will include studies done using methods of geoengineering and the benefits that have been found. Others may also include interviews with other supporting experts, articles written by reputable authors known to support geoengineering, and/or anyone with evidence to suggest that engineering the planet is a viable option to solving environmental problems.

6. Develop a Map of Your Argument 


Here is the link to the Coggle I made with regards to my argument.


Concluding Strategies

Positive Consequences - For my argument, ending by restating and summarizing the positive outcomes that geoengineering will have or already have is the best way to give my audience some closer before taking action. My conclusion will still be very persuasive and thus giving inference for my audience to act, but the main goal behind finishing with the positives is to let my readers think about what geoengineering can do for the planet and more importantly, do for themselves.


In Reflection, I reviewed Alyssa's outline as well as Isabel's outline. They both have very different approaches from each other and to myself also. We all go through different loops to get to the goal of trying to persuade our audiences to believe in a certain topic. Alyssa's idea of making a documentary fascinates me and I am very interested in seeing the final product. Isabel's use of her personal experiences with her topic will be the best information she could possible include in her argument as it is the most detailed and most vivid information she can probably find. With that in her argument, I have no doubt many will be moved by her story and want to believe in the cause that Isabel does.

No comments:

Post a Comment