Thursday, November 5, 2015

Considering Visual Elements

This post will do what the title of it literally suggests, considering the visual elements of my public argument. Drawing from the Writing Public Lives text pages 395 to 402, I will answer a selection of questions from each of the four criterion for visual rhetoric provided. The four topics are as follows: Design, Salience, Organization, & Impact.

Comestai. "Yota Space - MSA Visuals - Body Paintings Installation."
09/09/2011 via Wikimedia. Public Domain Dedication.
Creating Visual Coherence pg 395-6

1. If my project uses graphics, are these graphics appropriate to the visual-rhetoric tone? The graphics I choose to include in my project will be visually appropriate for the issue being discussed. Graphics will mainly consist of data and statistics supporting the methods of geoengineering.

2. If my project uses headings, do these headings stand out and break up the text clearly? If I were to included headings, I would have them stand out clearly to make for smoother transitions between subtopics. I might use bold text or a different color, but I am unsure at this time.

3. If lines are used to break up my text, are they clearly visible from a distance? If I were to include lines for separation purposes, I would make it a bold enough line to see at a distance. I may use a different color that the text but want to try to keep it neutral.

4. If lines are used, do they create a clear visual flow for my project? Using lines in my argument would most likely appear when presenting data, statistics, charts, or graphs. These will help a reader understand the flow of information in my argument without having to figure out where to look.

5. Are the fonts appropriate to the visual-rhetorical tone of my project? For my article,  I am going to keep my font the same for the entirety of it. This is to ensure that the article flows consistently and does not leave a reader wondering why I chose to change the font midway through the article.

6. If my project is displayed, are the fonts large enough to be read at a distance? If my project was displayed, I would simply increase the font size and bold my text. As it is an article, it will mainly be presented in online article sources. But if it is ever to be displayed on a projector for many people to see, the font would obviously need to be increased for people at a distance to read.

7. If my project has a background, what color is most appropriate? My article will most likely not include a background. However, if I did choose to change up my project to a visual aid, then a background with relation to geoengineering the environment.


Creating Visual Salience pg 398

1. Is the theme or association that the image produces relevant to the theme? The image I would choose to display the benefits of geoengineering would be relevant to the theme of my argument in that the image would support it.

2. Is the feeling or tone that the image invokes appropriate to the visual-rhetorical tone? The feeling that the image invokes would not be of an emotional ploy. It is simply to inform and to persuade readers of the benefits of geoengineering and its counterparts.

3. Does the image inform or emphasize my argument in an appropriate way? The image does and will emphasize the benefits of the subject to my argument. It will persuade my audience to believe that geoengineering is the solution to the planet's environmental problems.

4. If the image is a graph or chart, does it clearly support a major point? All charts and graphs in my argument will clearly support the major points. They will be the majority of the supporting evidence towards persuading readers of the benefits of geoengineering.

5. Is the image in close proximity to the argument? My image would be in close relation to my argument and more importantly, the subject of controversy. It will be in support of the topic and will help convince readers that it is beneficial.

6. If the visual image is used as part of a video, does the pairing information clearly connect? No matter the image or visual I use, it will be selected if it has beneficial qualities to aiding in my argument. If I could find an excellent source of a video covering my argument, then I will decide on whether to include it or not.


Creating Visual Organization pg 401

1. Scanning the outline, do your eyes move easily from section to section as intended? Looking at my outline, it is easy to tell which section will go to what section. The flow is smooth and everything is intended to work out this way.

2. If you are using design elements, do they create clear transitions from each major point? I will most likely not be using design elements in my public argument.

3. If you are writing a multimodal argument, do the visual images help the transitions? My writings will be sectioned into different branches of geoengineering. Visual elements will be provided for each branch to help support from all angles.

4. If your project contains large blocks of text, could they be broken up using text boxes? In this case, text boxes would be an efficient methods of separating large bodies of text. Especially since my argument revolves around multiple processes of geoengineering, boxing topics would be a good way to distinguish them.

5. Do too many visual images make your text busy or disorganized? My argument revolves around the support of visual aids. I would like to say that there is no amount of images that would hinder the overall goal of the argument I am trying to make.


Creating Visual Impact pg 402

1. Do the different visual and textual elements come together persuasively as a whole? My text will be informational about the issue and also be collaborative with the visual elements I am going to provide. The text will explain the support I am presenting with the use of those visuals.

2. Looking back at your outline, is the visual-rhetorical tone consistent? Looking back at my outline has me reassuring my confidence that the tone is indeed consistent throughout. My argument will undoubtedly need to be revised after the first draft, but at least I know that its fluidity will remain constant.

3. If you are calling your audience to take action, is this call specifically developed? The evidence I am presenting to my audience is for them to be persuaded into believing that geoengineering is truly beneficial to the planet. In by doing so, the call to my audience needs to be elaborately thought out before making my argument.

4. If you are calling your audience to take action, are the consequences and benefits expressed? In my argument, I will express the benefits mainly but also give a few consequences. These "consequences" however will only point against the readers' negligence if he or she decides not to support geoengineering.

5. Looking back at your images, are they placed or sequenced in the most persuasive way? I will format my images in the most persuasive way possible. I will embed images within my text as the explanations go by and the evidence of support is needed to keep the convincing tone of the argument alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment