Saturday, August 29, 2015

My Writing Process

I wouldn't call myself a master at writing nor would I deem me to be totally inept at putting down anything whether it be for an essay or a blog post. As a person who labels writing and reading as the work of the devil, the thought of "blogging" has put me in a place of utter confusion as to what must become of life. I don't enjoy the contemplating that my brain has to do to understand such a task, but I enjoy the thought of placing my ideas and thoughts on a page for all to see.


Add ClkerFreeVectorImages. "Panda Confused Questions Shrug Animal Cartoon." July 2014 via pixabay.
Public Domain Dedication.caption


1. What type(s) of writer do you consider yourself to be?

Taking from experience of writing my college essay even before I chose where I would be going to the present day (which is right now), I find myself along the lines of a "heavy reviser" and a "sequential composer." I stated, "right now" because I would also find myself to be a bit of a "procrastinator" more often than I would like.


2. Does your writing process include several of the above approaches? If so, which ones?

My writing process is a mixture of being a "heavy reviser" and a "sequential composer." Often I find myself writing endless amounts just to have to cut it all in half because my ideas wouldn't make sense with it. I spend an equal amount of time planning and drafting while revising takes nearly all the time of creating what I would call "a masterpiece."


3. Does your writing process seem to be successful? What are the strengths and weaknesses of your approach?

As I contemplate my thoughts and try to lay out an answer to the above question, I cannot help but see myself in the same position as I was in high school. This time in my life can be easily dubbed a time of procrastination. At this exact moment, I encounter a flashback of my high school self. Writing without a purpose but with a goal of obtaining greatness (aka a good grade). As already indirectly stated, my weaknesses in my writing abilities contribute mainly towards my procrastination. My strengths are that once I have a strong idea, I tend to write nothing but the best to reach my goal.


4. Do you think it might be beneficial for you to try a different approach? Why or why not?

As a pretty shitty writer myself, I would think that changing the way I even perceive writing should be altered. For this such blog post, I find myself procrastinating beyond understanding. For future assignments I would want to plan in advance to what I want to place down for my audience to see.

Reflection

As I read through Trey's blog, The Ladder of Abstraction, I found it hard to relate to his writing process. Him being of all four categories and me only having two of the attributes makes it difficult to understand how his process works for him. It surprised me to find that he is a heavy planner while also being somewhat of a procrastinator. From Trey I can maybe learn how to become a heavy planner and possibly an even better writer.

Reading Jessica's blog, Bloggin', made me feel better about myself being a procrastinator. She had stated that she is mainly a sequential composer as well as a procrastinator just like I am. Her statement about a "procrastination monster" made me laugh and relate to her feelings towards writing. We both seem to be the kind of people to wait till the last minute to complete a paper, but in the end actually come out on top.

5 comments:

  1. First, may I say, that reading your post (though you deemed it the "devil") was actually VERY enjoyable. I can definitely relate to your confusion about writing a blog; however, I definitely don't share your view of writing as being a devil (that would chemistry for me).

    Anyway, more on topic, I totally relate to your statement that you often write a lot only to cut much of it out when revising. My writing process is much the same in that aspect! Also like you, I am very much planning on cutting down on my procrastination. Good luck to the both of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I empathize with your writing struggles. My writing process also incorporates elements of the "heavy reviser" and "sequential composer", and I am quite familiar with the affect that procrastination can have on the writing process. One thing that helps me is writing the main body of text early on in the writing process, and revising and rewriting from there. As far as planning goes, it is important to write with a purpose, so simply identifying what themes and ideas you want to address early on can make the writing process much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely relate to this blog post in that I put so much effort into making my writing a work of art despite a time crunch due to potential procrastination. I loved that you had the guts to express your view of writing as "the devil" on an english assignment because I feel the exact same way. I really enjoyed this post and I hope that we can battle our procrastination habits as we go on with our more advanced college coursework.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nick, I like how you were so honest in this post. I think some people find it hard to admit their faults, especially academic ones. It seems to me that you dislike reading/writing or anything related to language arts. Has that changed since the beginning of this course? Do you find yourself more open to writing different types of texts? Out of the three projects we've done so far, which was your favorite to write? For me, it was probably the first one - the QRG. It was the easiest to grasp and construct. I also had a hard time with procrastination at the start of this semester. Unfortunately, I can't say that I've beat it, but I'm steadily improving, and I hope you are too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cynthia, to answer your first question: no, my views on reading and writing have not changed. I still strongly dislike the mere thought of them, but I have to say, towards the conclusion of this class I really enjoyed the topics presented and how we went about submitting our assignments (via a blog). At this time, I do find myself open to writing various types of text. I was never fond of writing essays on books and old literature. I found that writing about current events was more interesting to a large extent. Of the three projects we have done in this class, I am going to have to say Project 3 was my favorite. Given the permission to write freely about a topic we strongly feel about made me enjoy the freedom writing. For me, this project was the easiest to construct as it was easier to form thoughts, as what you put into the project was your own views and opinions. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete